Patient Safety Culture and Budget Allocation for Patient Safety-
Presenter: Vetty Yulianty Permanasari, University of Indonesia
Patient safety is a critical component of health care quality, but most hospitals in Indonesia do not have special unit which to deal with patient safety. Even, there is no assessment yet to patient safety culture in Indonesian hospitals so far. The patient safety culture assessment tool was adopted from AHRQ Patient Safety Culture Questionnaire which has been successfully used to assess Patient Safety Culture in American Hospitals.
This research is aimed to measure four overall patient safety outcomes: overall perceptions of safety; frequency of events reported; number of events reported; and overall of patient safety grade.
This research uses both cross-sectional study design (for assessing patient safety culture) and descriptive qualitative study (for identifying budget allocation for patient safety-related programs in Indonesian hospitals). It involved 40 hospitals as the place of study. The respondents are twenty percents of all hospital medical staffs from all units, which were selected using systematic random sampling. The tools are two sets of paper based questionnaires, one set is to assess patient safety culture, and the other one is to identify budget allocation for patient safety-related programs.
This research is still on going and expected to be completed in February 2008, but the interim results (after collecting 148 questionnaires from 2 hospitals) showed that there was 45% positive response for overall perception of safety, only 30% answered that the frequency of events reported is ‘most of the time’ or ‘always’, 75% answered that the number of events reported is less than 6 events per year, and for the overall grade on patient safety only 15% respondents answered ‘very good and ‘excellent’, 50% answered ‘acceptable’ and the rest answered ‘poor’ and ‘failing’. Then, for the overall ten dimensions of safety culture, there were 40% respondents gave positive response. In the two hospitals there were no specific budget allocation for patient-safety-related programs. The exact figure of budget allocated will be presented in the final results of this research.
Authors: Vetty Yulianty Permanasari, Hasbullah Thabrany, Ede Surya Darmawan
Room: No.3 Hall